top of page

Intro to Tenants Rights

This is just a quick summary for that you as a student have an idea of what resources are available to you. Many of these links will take you to the sites of the services with staff who have extensive knowledge of the legal intricacies of the rights of a tenant. Knowledge is power, and you don't have to be unsatisfied with your housing situation to find some of these links and organizations interesting.

Photo Credit to Philip Montgomery For the New Yorker

NOTICE: Not paying your rent--for any reason, including ignored repairs-- puts you at risk for eviction.   Even if the landlord has not done what they said would be done, you may still be evicted for not paying your rent.  Always pay your rent, no matter what the situation! Be sure to get a receipt for your rent payments.  Eviction judgment will remain on CCAP for many years and negatively affect your ability to rent other apartments.

Fee Waiver Forms

If you are unable to pay the filing fees, and meet the income requirements, you can ask the court to waive the fees by completing form CV-410A&B below. 

Form CV-410A -Petition for Waiver of Fees and Costs - Affidavit of Indigency

Form CV-410B - Order on Petition for Waiver of Fees and Cost

Eviction Resources

The Milwaukee Justice Center holds a free clinic to help tenants remove their eviction records from CCAP (public records of Wisconsin circuit courts). Sealing a record can only be done if the eviction was dismissed. Call the Milwaukee Justice Center to schedule an appointment. 

IMPACT provides a 24-hour central access point for information and assistance to critical community resources that help people regain stability such as those at risk of becoming homeless or those experiencing homelessness.

Free legal aid for low-income tenants facing eviction and tenants experiencing issues with habitability or public housing.

Free legal aid for low-income tenants in Milwaukee County. Legal staff can help you with your security deposit, delayed repairs, lock-outs, and more.

Free mediation services for landlords and tenants seeking to resolve a dispute outside of court. A neutral mediator will work with the landlord and the tenant to resolve issues like missed rent or other lease violations. 

A self-help legal center. Speak with an attorney for free legal advice through the Marquette Volunteer Legal Clinic, learn how to file a small claim, and access other legal resources.

If your landlord has filed for eviction but you have applied for emergency assistance you can file these forms

 SC-5500VA -Petition for Stay of Eviction Based on Defendant's Application for Emergency Assistance

SC-5500VB - Order on Petition for Stay of Eviction Based on Defendant's  Application for Emergency Assistance

78 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page